Now that you have said Yes it’s time to start thinking about the kind of wedding you would like to have.
First things First… allow yourself 12-18 months to plan your wedding. Of course a wedding can be organized in a much shorter time frame, this is just the average.
Consider the time of year for your wedding and the theme it will lend to your photos and film.
- Would you like to share your wedding with the new buds of spring and daffodils. (a sign of new beginnings)
- A summer wedding with those long bright evenings (full of joy and light)
- An autumn wedding surrounded by golden falling leaves (mother nature’s own confetti)
- Winter/Christmas weddings have become more and more popular (for that cosy fireside wedding)
- Consider the number of guests you wish to invite to get an idea of the size of your guest list and a suitable venue
12 -18 months to the I do’s
Set the date and Make an appointment to visit wedding venues. Meet with the specialised wedding manager/coordinator who can advise you of all your options.
- Book your chosen reception Venue Castle Oaks House Hotel, Castletroy park Hotel, Woodlands House Hotel, Greenhills, Devon Inn, Radisson Blu
- Book your ceremony venue
- Book your celebrant Pat Clarke Browne, Mary O’Shea, Louie Quirke
- Book a professional wedding Photographer (your photos are with you forever) Dermot Culhane
- Book a professional wedding Videographer (your wedding film captures all the bits you miss) PVP Wedding Films
- Book your wedding Band (an experienced wedding band will keep the party alive) Escapade, Switch, Sonic BIG Band
- Book your wedding florist and explore colors and the styles of bouquets Ring O Roses, Tiger Lillies Lawless Flowers
Important Tips – Tie in your ceremony & reception venues booking date. Decide on a ceremony time that’s not too late so you will have plenty time to enjoy your drinks reception. Remember you will have an hour with the ceremony and greeting guests, then your photos and transport to the venue….. the time zooms by and the early afternoon soon turns into evening time.
Book your ceremony, reception venue, photographer, videographer, florist and your wedding band together. These are always first to get booked up.
8-12 months to the I do’s
Time to go shopping….. we know the ladies love shopping.
Make appointments and visit bridal boutiques and begin searching for your perfect wedding dress. Professional experts will advise you on latest styles and what suits your individuality. Also consider shoes, head piece and other accessories to complement your dress.
- Consider booking ceremony and drinks reception music Eve Stafford, Grainne & John
- Order your perfect wedding dress, shoes and accessories Lilac Rose Bridal, Caroline Mitchell Vamp lingerie
- Consider a colour and style for bridesmaids dresses
- Decide on bridesmaids dresses and arrange an appointment for a fitting Chantilly Lace
- Don’t forget the Mother of the Bride & Groom Caroline Mitchell
- Visit a Jeweller and choose your wedding rings. Allow time for your rings to be made, sized or ordered. Ryans Jewellers
- Send out ‘save the date’ and consider invitations designs Letterpress
- Start looking into honeymoon destinations Martina Forde
- Explore church/ceremony and reception venue decor Audrey’s Wedding Ocassions, Tiger Lillies Decor
Tips – reach a consensus with regard to colors and dress styles. It’s important that everyone is satisfied. Allow time for dresses to be designed, ordered or made.
Order your wedding rings in time, they often have to be made to order.
Many ceremony singers also offer drinks reception entertainment.
6-8 months to the I do’s
Time to think about the groom, it isn’t happening without him
- Check out the latest trends for the Groom, groomsmen and pageboys suit and arrange a fitting Esquire Menswear, Noel’s Menswear
- Select the latest fashion in gents dress shoes, socks and accessories such as cuff links and ties
- They need a little pampering too…. so book in hair cuts and hot towel shaves for the morning of your wedding Retro Barbers
- Book your wedding car Diamond Wedding Cars, Bentley Wedding Hire
- Book your DJ Paudie Walsh DJ, DJ Jonathan
- Book reception entertainment Magician Leon
Time to start ticking some boxes
- Order wedding stationery Letterpress
- Order your wedding cake Kennedy O’Brien Cakes Laura’s Baked Creations
- Confirm your booking with your florist
- Choose you’re makeup artist and have a trial Catherine Hickey, Mandy O’Loughlin
- Choose your hair stylist and have a trial
- Order bridesmaids dresses and shoes
- Book your honeymoon & check your passports are in date
Tip – They say it’s all about the Bride and that’s true but the modern Groom is a huge help with ideas and valuable input. Don’t rely on just your bridesmaids your hubby to be is there to help too.
3-6 months to the I do’s
- Send notification of intention to marry to the registrar (this is a legal requirement)
- Finalise wedding stationery, invitations, booklets etc.. Letterpress
- Book pre-marriage course if required
- check with your priest or celebrant about any paperwork you may need to submit (birth certs, baptisem certs etc…)
- Consider other entertainment such as comedian, magicians, singing chef, photobooth. Candy carts Photobooth365, The Snug, Crazy Golf
Tip – Be careful not to blow the budget or over do it with too many novelty items. It may force you to cut back on important services or may force your wedding to run very late. For example: Instead of favours give a donation to your preferred charity.
1-3 months to the I do’s
- Finalise your wedding guest list and send out invitations
- Confirm your RSVP final numbers with your reception venue and prepare a table plan
- Confirm bookings with all suppliers
- Confirm collection date for your wedding dress, bridesmaids dresses and suits for the guys
- Confirm collection or delivery of your wedding rings, cake, flowers, favours, honeymoon tickets
Tip – Once you have ticked all the boxes and everything is in place be sure to trust in the professionals you have hired…. sit back and enjoy the day…. it goes far too quickly!